October 12, 2009

Whatever you do, don't say WHATEVER!

According to a US survey published in the STAR on 9 Oct 09, the most annoying word is "whatever". If you want to be a great conversationalist this is certainly a word to be avoided. Therefore, whatever you do, don't say WHATEVER in conversation.


Nearly 50% of people questioned in the Marist telephone poll of 938 adults said "whatever" was the word that bothered them the most. It was the most irritating word in all regions of the country, and among both sexes, all age groups, educational levels and income brackets. The word "whatever" is used so often in terms of casual conversation among friends and family members.

When you think of the meaning behind it, it is often a way to dismiss someone. It is irritating in that aspect. For instance, I remember whenever my mom asks our opinion where and what to eat for our Sunday brunch after church service, the answer given by us is often, you know, "whatever" lah. I guess, she must be disgusted with such an answer. I promise myself never to use the word "whatever" in my reply or at least refrain myself from using it that often.

So,

DON'T!



By Julien Lim Zhen-Wei

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0