October 19, 2009

English Emcee VS Chinese Emcee


Awesome!

When I met Xandria Ooi, for the first time she was not hosting an event. In fact, we were seated together, yeah the special VIP table reserved for the committee members of the organizing Catholic High School Prom Night @ Hilton Hotel, KL. She was the invited guest being an alumni of CHS. Of course, she came with her boyfriend, Yuri Wong (now her fiancee) and I'd Kevin Loo as my date for that night. Meeting her changed my perspective of her, all the while I thought of her as someone proud and aloof. She was warm and she managed to break the "ice" by asking Yuri to speak with Kevin and find creative ways to interact with us in a cool, interesting conversation.

The other day, I met her again, but this time as the emcee for the Pink Run at KL Tower in conjunction with Breast Cancer Awareness month. She was very professional. She chose her words. Well and she managed to convey a meaningful message to the crowd, the big crowd present, in English of course!


Oops!

Last Sunday, was the Selangor Turf Club Ladies Day. I was there with some ladies in our most stylish outfits. This was the first time I attended an event hosted by a Chinese/Cantonese speaking emcee. I find her a bit too loud and informal at times. Maybe it was a Horse Race and she had to raise her voice to bring in the excitement? :S Hoping the spectators would place more bets, I guess. No offense.

Well, to conclude, although it's unfair to judge the Chinese and English emcees "style" of hosting events based on two experiences, I still prefer Xandria Ooi's style - Warm, tactful and polite :)

By Julien Lim Zhen-Wei

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0